Monday, December 28, 2015

Bumpy Roads and Purple Mountains

3 Days In 

...and I've already hit hard times. I'm pretty sure the first week is supposed to be a myriad of positive feelings and big plans for a sparkly future. Or are you supposed to wake up on the second day and think "oh holy fuck, I have to do all that again"? I can't tell if it's the caffeine-withdrawal headaches or the tumultuous busy 7 and a half hour shift yesterday (Since when do parents take their kids to spend gift cards RIGHT after Christmas? I was lucky if we got to the store before Valentines Day) but I was already questioning whether or not to continue with this. And it isn't even New Years. 

Then there's the fact I know I look idiotic doing the swing dance routine while I'm half asleep (thus confirming my theory that those capable of running long distances at 6 am are the products of secret government bio-engineering) and the stories of horrible accidents due to the winter road conditions that make the idea of driving even less palatable. And I haven't even gotten to the horror of having to get in depth in the manuscripts at find out exactly what does and doesn't work. This is fucking hard and frankly terrifying. 

And I'm glad for it. 

The hardest part of any resolution (or any goal really) is when the honeymoon period wears off and the difficulties set in. When you wake up the morning after with sore abs and aching calves, knowing you have go do the same thing that made them ache in the first place. When you realize there's not a lot of spring water left in the house, but you still can't touch the unopened case of Dr. Pepper on the porch (WHY do I always try to give up soda right after I buy a new 12 pack?) When you see snow covered roads and know you'll have to learn how to drive those. When you know that Madeleine L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time" was rejected 26 times by publishers before it became a classic and that could very well happen to you. I have crossed the plains and find myself staring up at the first incline of this giant purple mountain (my favorite color is purple and this is MY metaphor, thank you very much) looming in front of you.

Time to start going up.

I did the dance routine even though I knew I looked stupid. The headaches will NOT make me go back to unhealthy habits. Today I will be sharing manuscripts with some even harsher critics (Aunt Becky, be kind) and looking for books for the reading challenge. As for driving...well, there's a difference between being bold and being stupid. And when the news anchors are telling you "STAY THE FUCK HOME" (okay so they didn't say fuck, but I fully believe the news would be a whole lot more interesting if someone dropped the f-bomb occasionally) learning to drive on that day would be categorically idiotic. And I am not an idiot...just a little common-sense challenged.  


No comments:

Post a Comment