Saturday, December 26, 2015

Capes, Hunger Games, and Robert Downey Jr.

There Are Many Things...

...a person will find in their home as they grow older. A strange stain on the carpet of indeterminate origins. An article of clothing too tight to fit any occupant of the home, but never donated and doomed to the limbo of the laundry cycle: washed repeatedly but never worn. A workout video the mother bought with the best intentions, watched repeatedly for a few weeks then condemned to collect dust in the far corner of an office or entertainment center. 

And verily I trudged through the dust of the TV stand to rescue said workout video from the ravages of dust and neglect. 

Not all heroes wear capes.

But I was persuaded by the seeming simplicity of learning a simple swing routine to believe that it was not the greatest workout. I was on the verge of reconsidering using it as my way to get active when I realized I was sweating, breathing hard, and praying my inevitable death would be quick and painless. 

That's how you know it's a good workout.   

Today, among buying drink mixes to trick my mouth into believe there was actually variety occurring, I also managed to find the reading list I wanted to complete for the new year. Popsugar's Reading Challenge offers not just the amount of books you should read, but what kind. A book less than 150 pages and another over 600. A political memoir, an autobiography, and so on and so forth. I highly recommend it for the pioneering bookworm....just be careful which relative you turn to for the "book recommended by a family member" (NO, JANESSA, I AM NOT READING HUNGER GAMES I DON'T CARE HOW UNLIKELY A HEROINE KATNISS IS).

As for learning how to drive and editing the manuscripts...well, there's not much on that front. If I am completely honest with myself, those are the two things I am most nervous about (oh yeah, let's put a girl known for spacing out behind the wheel of a machine capable of taking human life, I'm sure it will go swimmingly) and the two I most need to accomplish. That's where shaming myself comes in. It might be horrible to do it to other people, but a smidgen of self-shaming goes a long way. At the lowest point of his life, Robert Downey Jr. became ashamed of himself and where his life was going. And look where he is now. Be like Robert Downey Jr. Shame yourself into doing better things with your life. 

P.S. I'm not saying I'm Iron Man. I'm just saying that the suit is hella androgynous and it's wearer could in fact be another sex entirely and no one has shown proof that I do not own such a thing. Think about it. 

1 comment:

  1. To be fair, Mom requested my copy of the Hunger Games. But I will look through the popsugar list and see if I have books that apply that you could borrow.

    ReplyDelete