Thursday, December 31, 2015

New Years Eve

It's coooommmmmiinnnng.

And as we near the beginning of the New Year, I like to dwell on the lessons I have learned on my journey to a better me so far. 

1. I do not own a sports bra capable of restraining two C-cups for the duration of 100 "inside-outside, outside-inside" jumping jacks

2. Doing the plank for a minute becomes much more endurable when you start berating yourself for all those times you phoned it in during gym class 

3. There is nothing quite like rereading your own work and realizing it doesn't suck 

4. Looking at yourself in the mirror becomes a bit more bearable when added with the thought "But I am working on it" 

5. A clean(ish) bedroom makes all the difference in daily life

6. Haters gonna hate. 

There has been, on some social media sites, a large amount of virtual eye-rolling going on in reference to people declaring they will be undertaking resolutions. Cartoons are made disparaging the hashtag #newyearnewme And why? Because it's assumed everyone who undertakes resolutions will fail and their attempts are pointless.

Now I wont say that I believe every person who resolves to do something will actually do it. A large portion of people will give up on their resolutions by Valentines Day. I myself have tried and failed multiple times before. But just the idea of saying "I could be doing something better than I'm doing right now" is admirable. Admitting where your faults are and working toward them is infinitely better than never trying at all. I'd rather someone try and fail than say "what's the point?". Because if you aren't willing to work on yourself, the one thing you will be stuck with your entire existence, how can you be trusted to work on anything else?  

While it would be downright stereotypical of me to say "this time feels different" but it does. With a degree under my belt (that can come in the mail ANY DAY NOW) and a masters looming, there is that feeling of being on the cusp of something bigger. 

There is an organization for museum workers that gives its members access to an international job board. It would be a dream come true to find a position in another country (preferably an English speaking one, according to Duolingo I'm only 7% fluent in French). Given that I will have multiple degrees, a certificate, and (fingers crossed) a published work or two, I could be a viable candidate for a position in any respectable museum. This means that within a few years I could be an ocean away from every family member and friend I ever knew. That's terrifying, thrilling, and a great incentive for getting your life together. A couple years is enough time to be a distinctly better me than I am today. I could be fitter, stronger, more successful, independent, and well-read than I am right now. 

And that's why, ladies and gentlemen of the jury for the court of public opinion, you can fuck off.

No comments:

Post a Comment