Thursday, March 17, 2016

Biking, Adulting, and Other Things I Should Have Been Doing Before Now

Bikes Are Magical

When you go running, you are acutely aware you are working out the entire time. You can feel every aching step, your poor lungs begging for you to stop. However, when you're on a bike, a strange thing occurs. You're still working out and you may end up out of breath. But no matter how hard you have to work, there's still an overall feeling of "woooohoooooo, I'm on a biiiiiiiiiiike!!!!!" you had in your childhood. Even when you wake up the next morning to discover certain pelvic bones are aching in new and interesting ways, it's still fun. 

I haven't been able to practice driving a lot, mostly because the weather has been rainy. And if I'm super nervous driving in perfect daylight on a nice day, I do not yet trust myself on a darker, rainy day. But I did realize I wasn't quite as relieved at not being able to practice driving as I'd been in the past (although I still wasn't that heartbroken) So there's that. But the weather has turned nicer today, so I may be trying again. 

I began looking at a couple sources on how to be published and I realized a couple things. 

A. People will demand unholy amounts of money just for advice on how to do a thing. 

B. I may be rushing into this. 

As getting published is one of my New Year's Resolutions, the idea would be to at least send it to a publisher by the end of the year. While that's still a decent goal to set, I've decided to relax a bit on the obsession. Most authors don't come into their stride until their mid-twenties (with the exceptions like Christopher Paolini) or thirties. I don't intend on waiting that long, but I got to pull back a bit. Get some more editors to read it, but focus on other things in the meantime. 

Next month is another Camp NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writing Month. The official month is in November, but they have "camps" in April and July. The point of NaNo is to write. You set a goal, such as 50,000 words, to finish by the end of the month. This was a boon to me. I finished my time travel manuscript due to last July's camp and another literary piece in November. And as I am never without a partial draft, next month I will be continuing a medieval fantasy piece I started a couple months ago. It's already ten of thousands of words in, but I've been wanting to make a longer book. There are apparently people (*cough* Dad *cough*) that prefer their books to be longer...like over 400 pages. My longest is still sitting at 250, so I'm going to go for a longer plot. And this one is gonna be good. Plenty of assassination attempts and war. 

Getting healthier is going well. I went to a church event (strange for someone of my beliefs, I now. But in my defense dinner was free...and it was walking tacos) and one of the little old ladies just gushed over how well I looked. I know it was probably just the LoLs of a Baptist church being themselves (seriously, they make you feel like a rockstar for just showing up) but it made my night.

I suppose there may be something different about me lately, because I feel different. For the first time in my life, I'm regularly buying my own grocery items and other major purchases. I'm actually doing things I've always put off before. I'm voluntarily waking up early (8:30 may not be early for some of you, but for someone who used to regularly sleep in till noon, this is impressive) and going out and doing things. I'm walking to places instead of asking for rides. I'm actually learning the art of texting people back in a decent manner. I feel like...well, not an adult. But like...adult-ish. Adult adjacent. Like I still call my parents for help when crap hits the fan, but I'll try a couple things to fix it first. And that, my friends, is growth.   

No comments:

Post a Comment