Thursday, March 31, 2016

#LondonTiptonClapping

I Would Like to Give An Update

But I don't really have anything to report. My hours have gone back up at work and Camp NaNoWriMo begins tomorrow (something I should probably write about tomorrow...if my hands aren't cramped from typing already). I haven't done much with driving as of yet, as the gloom and doom of rainy weather has made it a bit daunting. But that's for another day. 

What I'm here to talk about is London Tipton. And that phrase, to anyone that wasn't a tween or parent-there-of in the mid 2000s, will be befuddling. London Tipton was a character on an old Disney Channel show, "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody". She was the airheaded heiress (on the one show that had the Asian girl as the dumb one and the blonde as the smart one) that was known for clapping her hands together quickly and yelling "Yay me!" 

As I tweeny-bopped, I thought that was stupid. As a soon-to-be 23 year old, this speaks to me. I've found myself going "yay me!" far more often than I would have thought possible.

"I rode my bike today, yay me!" 
"I bought my own groceries and made my own dinner, yay me!" 
"I've gotten out of bed before 9 am every day this week, yay me!" 

Now it sounds stupid to cheer over such little things, but have you ever noticed how life automatically gets hard when you hit your 20s? You go from a teenager with a curfew and meals to a slightly older teenager without a curfew and an on-campus meal plan, to a mid-20s adult that is somehow supposed to know how to pay taxes, grocery shop and write a cover letter for your resume. Sometimes you luck out and learn this stuff as you go. Other times you suddenly realize you'r supposed to be an adult, but you don't remember covering this in basic training. I mean, sure highschool is supposed to help. But highschool never taught me what a 401k is. 

So I've found that I deserve praise for doing the little, adulty things. And if no one else deems fit to give it to me, I shall give it to myself. And no #humblebrag either. Eventually there will come a day when planning a grocery shopping trip will no longer require a "yay me!". And on that day I shall give myself another "yay me!" to commemorate how I no longer have to remind myself how to adult. 
So toss your successes in Elle Woods' snap cup and pat yourself on the back. You have an actual life you put together. Yay you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment